Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Quales and Quails and Lights

I should probably be studying for that Art n' Culture exam at 1:30. But I made the mistake of looking up the word "qualia" on Wikipedia and Everything2. An interesting idea, and one that we should argue about at length, around a campfire, with a half bottle of cheap whiskey, and some beers for dinner, and nothing around to bother us for at least a few miles. Goddamn I miss the woods.

Anyway. My thoughts on qualia: I'm coming from a geek standpoint here, so you should bear in mind that an idea central to my character is that every problem can be solved, given enough time. So, how many words does it take to describe the color red? Well, given the right words, surprisingly few. I don't think many things exist outside the human mind which are undefinable. That human mind bit's the difficult part. How many words does it take to describe one day of a person's life? Is it necessary to have a description of every day which occurred before the day you want to describe? And that person must have interacted with other people and things on each day you describe - should we go into the psychology of a house cat in order to understand how the person being described interacts with it? This leads to the more complicated problem of attempting to calculate and describe each person who has interacted with the subject of your description.

So, while it may be theoretically possible to describe the thought process of a person in a given minute or day, the amount of effort required may make the task near infinite.

See above as example of why I find the idea of marriage pretty damn funny.

Also, if you have funny colored lights, could I borrow them?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home