Sunday, October 02, 2005

Catching Up

I'll repost an email from Anna:

Hmm... things to need, things to need. Where is she coming to in Japan?
Exciting, the coming to Japan-ness. Umm, if it's easy for her I'd love some Swiss Miss hot chocolate. I didn't bring any, 'cause I'm stupid. I can't really think of anything else I want... Feel free to send whatever if you'd like. Oh! I'd like some anime. Some cool anime. I'll have my dad buy a thing of cd-rws or dvd-rws to give back to you, but I want anime. For instance, I've got Full Metal Alchemist already on my desktop, and I'd love to be able to finish it so the movie makes some semblance of sense when I finally see it. Also, I got the rest of Doctor Who from a friend here, so I'm watching episode 13 tonight after I buy some ice cream and mochi. SugokuAwesomeDesu. すごくAwesomeです。 Kk, I think you can e-mail my cell phone (faraebie@c.vodafone.ne.jp) but I haven't tested it yet. Also, I only have Brittany's cell phone, so if anybody else wants me to call them (for example, zack or you or stu, you're sort of collapsed as a unit in my brain memory access) I need phone numbers. Short calls, my cell phone does 54 yen / minute to the u.s. (which is weird, since it's 60 yen / minute in Japan...). Gonna go away now, I've had a lot of hot chocolate and water.


A bit of back story: this girl in my Asian Politics class is going to Japan in a week, and she offered to carry stuff for me. Let me know if you wanna send Anna anything.

Now, onto the best movie I can remember seeing this year:

Mirrormask is an interesting little film, especcially if you're a Gaiman fan. Gaiman has this habit of writing what can be described as "quest in a strange land" novels. The hero is an ordinary person transported to an unfamiliar land (Faerie in Stardust, London Below in Neverwhere, the Gods' underground network in American Gods and Ananzi Boys), who finds him/herself on a quest for some sort of McGuffin. By the end of the book, the hero usually realizes that the mcguffin isn't really important, the journey was what matters.

Mirrormask follows Gaimans usual formula, and is basically a predictable film. I think the main difference between Mirrormask and other movies (besides the trippy visuals and even trippier soundtrack) is Gaiman's writing. The dialogue is clever and really well written, the characters (and movie watchers) are treated as intelligent, and the world is obviously well developed.

The film's playing for one week only at Midtown Art, but it's worth making a special trip to see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home