Thursday, December 01, 2005

Books

I forgot to pick up those books today, but here's the notes I have for my "Books I should read" list.

Margaret Atwood - The Handmaid's Tale, The Blind Assassin
chuck_palahniuk latest book

Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis. Dame Darcy's Meatcake Compilation. Alan Moore's Smax. Craig Thompson's Blankets. Lea Hernandez's Texas Steampunk books. Neil Gaiman's Endless Nights (which admittedly felt like a B-sides collection rather than a full album, but even Gaiman's B-sides are generally terrific, and Barron Storey's work was worth the price alone). Derek Kirk Kim's Same Difference and Other Stories. Warren Ellis's Orbiter.

The Big Con: The Story of the Confidence Man is the book that inspired the the movie, The Sting. The book's author, David Maurer, was a linguist who studied the jargon of different professions.

You Can't Win is the utterly compelling autobiography of Jack Black, a thief and a hobo who grew up in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Hell's Angels is Hunter S. Thompson's best book. I think it's his only great book. Unlike his other work, Thompson stays focused on the job of uncovering a world hidden to most of us, and he does it with such powerful images and colorful language that it's impossible not to be utterly absorbed by the story he tells.

The Secret Societies Handbook by Michael Bradley

Tim or Tom Robinson - also find girl who suggested that guy


These are all snippets from reviews I've found, or notes I wrote myself. I don't have a very good memory, especially when names are involved, so this is the only way I'll actually get around to reading these books when I have a break.

My plan for tomorrow: Wake, jump around while listening to very loud music, scavenge for breakfast, buy that Asian Politics book, maybe write the page for Brightman, meet for presentation, search the bowels of the library for books on my list - perhaps enlist librarian aid, maybe a movie, food, go for a long walk with someone new, see the midnight Thesmorphia show, sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home