Thursday, December 01, 2005

Perception and Gender

Finals are coming up, but I don't really seem to have anything due. I think I'll take that list of "books to read in my free time" to the library today, see what I can find.

I find it hilarious that people think I do well in classes. Not that I do badly, I get a B+ on everything I do, no matter how much time I spend working on it. But compared to at least 1/5th of most of my classes, my grades aren't that great.

I assume the "Ben does well" myth is based on me speaking up in class, and knowing what I'm talking about. They don't really realize that I speak up when I get bored, or when it takes to long for the class to answer a question. Just because I think about the class material a lot, doesn't mean I actually get good grades.

Back in highschool, I wouldn't speak in class at all, and generally spent the class period reading in back of the room.

-

Huge Generalizations: When a guy says something like "shit, I'm failing chemistry", they actually mean that they are failing or at least getting a D in chemistry. When a girl says "Oh noes, I'm failing German", they mean that they're getting a C in the class, or they got a bad grade on their last test/paper. The girl then assesses problem, and starts studying/working harder in order to pass the class with a good grade by the end of the semester.

The professional world is going to look very strange 30 years from now. Right now, most colleges are at least 60% female, Oglethorpe lists its enrollment as 2 woman for every man. I picture men as the new housewives, and wonder how long it will take for society to reflect the gender disparity in colleges.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home