Tuesday, November 29, 2005

C-Time

So, basically, I believe that for every person you meet, no matter how awesome they are, it's possible to be around them long enough that they become annoying. This theory holds as true for friends as it does for girlfriends.

I developed this theory in high school, when I spent a lot of time hanging out with my friend Chris. If you know Chris, you know how annoying he tends to be. If you don't know Chris, just picture a Republican who doesn't read, and always talks about either the military or sex.

After spending a few hours with Chris, I realized that I grew to hate him more every hour we were together. Eventually, I quantified the amount of time between meeting up with Chris and wanting to stab him until he stopped babbling. I called this number "C-Time".


A few interesting observations about c-time: C-Time can be lengthened by varying activities during the time two people are associated, activity's like talking make c-time shorter, limiting contact by reading or watching a movie make c-time longer. I notice that friends unconsciously understand when they've almost reached the end of c-time, and they take steps to remove themselves from association with their friend, at least for a short time. Also, it seems that c-time may pause when sharing an enjoyable activity with person, like drinking (or booze makes you more tolerant of associate), walking, sex (actually, sex is a lot like drinking, as far as what you tolerate), video games, certain types of physical labor.

Longest C-time observed: Stu, at around 3-4 days; though we had been living together in Japan at the time, and I think being forced to deal with a person makes you more tolerable

Shortest C-time observed (in a friend): Maybe post breakup Megan (30minutes - 1 hour), or Chris (3 hours, though this decreases every time we hang out)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home