Saturday, January 20, 2007

Nietzsche, Inside Jokes

"That the ascetic ideal has meant so much to man, however, is an expression of the basic fact of the human will, its horror vacui: it needs a goal, - and it would rather will nothingness than not will."

-Nietzsche, On the Genealogy of Morality, "Third Treatise: What Do Ascetic Ideals Mean?"

My Thoughts:

- I opened the book randomly, sitting on my bed idly watching my brother play video games, petting the cat with the one foot hanging over my bed's board. But the funny part, the funny part is this wreckage of party around me, bottles, cups, a reek of booze like happiness filtered through chemicals and red fruit. And my brother's cut and bleeding, a casualty of too much happiness in one night. And I'm reading about Asceticism, while thinking about Aesthetics, or, more accurately, wondering why I don't agonize over aesthetics.

- It's a strange world out thar.

- After dipping my toes into Derrida, Genet, and other Frenchmen, Nietzsche's a lot easier to read.

- Genet charges $5 for a toe dip. Haha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home