Sunday, October 09, 2005

Weekend Blues

A theory: I am happiest around people, doing things, in motion. When I'm at school, there are many people around, a large number of them are thinking, and it's generally a good scene. When I leave school for long periods of time, like a weekend (three days in this case), I tend to become depressed and lethargic. See earlier posts made on weekends for illustrations of this phenomenon. Therefore, as long as I stay in school, I will be happy.

So... Grad school anyone?

Note about the above: This is a recently occurring phenomenon, probably happening within the last year or two. Before that, I can remember looking forward to long periods of isolation. However, since deciding to become a people person (open, friendly, personable), I find myself needing the company of other people.

Is this a good or bad change? On one hand, I know more people now, which society generally considers a good thing. On the other hand, I seem to have become a bit dependent, which I generally consider bad. I'm not sure either mode of personality changes the base amount of happiness in my life. Instead, the two modes effect the circumstances under which I feel happy. If I had experiences with drugs that artificially boosted a person's seratonen, I might compare the change I've gone through in the last few years to the change those drugs produce in a person's biology.

An alternate explanation to the original hypothesis: The weather is shitty this weekend, and that's fucking with my mood.

I needs ta get out of this funk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home