Thursday, February 08, 2007

Futures

The more time I spend in offices, the more sense Rousseau makes. Not that I think the guy's anything short of completely batshit, but I suppose he's useful to read as a sort of reflection of his times + how he influenced Marx.

I think, in 100 years, the invention of the office, as in the physical environment, the box we store people in, the cubicle - these images will be the stereotypical pictures of our time, just like pre-civil war south had the plantation, and ancient Rome had the coliseum. I can feel it working its way into me, and sometimes, I worry that my memory of Chicago will be entirely dominated by florescent lighting and offwhite walls.

That's the scary part. This whole thing is viable. There's really no rational reason not to finish college, than return to Cube World. It wouldn't be too hard to get a job in a box doing something I can tolerate, working in editing, or management, or something. But I don't want to do any of that, and I'm getting to the point where, each moment I do one thing, I dig deeper into the life of always doing that one thing, or always living in that one city, or always something something.

So, now what?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home