Monday, April 03, 2006

Double

Professor Taylor keeps hinting that I should be writing poems instead of prose. This infuriates me.

If I wanted to be writing poems, I would be writing poems. Even though my writing style reminds you of poetry, it is actually prose. Surprise.

I see poetry as a style of writing used by assholes who need to justify a lack of content and clarity in their writing. Also, write with one hand, because I assume writing poetry is impossible if you're not also masturbating.

Why's there even a distinction between poetry and prose?

Definition of poetry, stolen from wikipedia: Poetry is traditionally a written art form in which human language is used for its aesthetic qualities in addition to, or instead of, its notional and semantic content.

Definition of prose, stolen from wikipedia: Prose is writing distinguished from poetry by its greater variety of rhythm and its closer resemblance to the patterns of everyday speech. The word prose comes from the Latin prosa, meaning straightforward. This describes the type of writing that prose embodies, unadorned with obvious stylistic devices.

To my mind, it's impossible to divorce the aesthetic use of language from any attempt to deliver content to a reader.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home