Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Underground

In Notes from the Underground, Dostoevsky wrote:

"I could not become anything: neither bad nor good, neither a scoundrel nor an honest man, neither a hero nor an insect. And now I am eking out my days in my corner, taunting myself with the bitter and entirely useless consolation that an intelligent man cannot seriously become anything; that only a fool can become something"

It echoes certain ideas that have been tumbling around in my brain lately. I wonder if this conflict is something I have in common with those around me.

On the subject of "The Underground", I've been reading a lot about criminals and conmen lately. They all seem to feel mistreated by society.

It is possible to argue that their bad treatment is an aberration or consequence of their own misbehaver. However, these rationales do not accurately address the commonality of feeling between all those on the fringes of society. The fact that so many people feel alienated and wronged by society points to a problem within society at large.

I'll walk, and ponder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home