Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Call Me Geek

I was looking through the newspaper a few days ago, and I saw an article about open casting calls for The WB's "Beauty and the Geek". I don't really watch TV anymore, ever since I realized I spent more time avoiding commercials than I did enjoying quality television, so I had never heard of this show. The premise is that a beautiful extrovert is paired with a brainy introvert. The beauty then teaches the geek social skills, the geek teaches the beauty to be smart. The pair compete in a contest against other teams at the end of the show, and the winning team recieves a few hundred thousand dollars.

The show seemed simple, and I assumed that the casting call would be just as simple to "win". And it was, at least the first two calls. Now, for the third casting call, I have to submit a video of my daily life, something that showcases my geekiness. More on that in The Future.

The main problem with the casting call was my interviewer, a stereotypical southern Californian. He was probably about thirty, but wore the "antique" t-shirt and distressed jeans of a man in his early 20's, combined with a fake tan, whitened teeth, and bleached hair. I know I'm being a bit overcritical of this guy, but if you had wasted an hour of your life with him, you'd be just as angry. Remember my earlier description of his physical features? His personality was just as fake. He asked questions without comprehending the answers, and had a baby's understanding of irony and sarcasm. This interview gives a good example of the process.

To conclude: talking to people from California - avoid it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ben i think you would be perfect for the show. Getting paid for seducing a pretty girl is right up your alley.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home